Paul di Resta feels his age may have worked against him in the race for a Williams Formula 1 seat in 2018 as Sergey Sirotkin's confirmation at the team looks imminent.

Di Resta, 31, raced in F1 between 2010 and 2013 before losing his Force India seat and returning to DTM with Mercedes.

The British driver made a surprise return with Williams at the Hungarian Grand Prix last year when Felipe Massa fell ill, and put in an impressive display at short notice.

Di Resta's performance led to him entering the race to replace the retiring Massa full-time at the team in 2018, but recent reports suggest that 22-year-old Sirotkin is due to be announced as Lance Stroll's teammate for 2018 in the near future.

"It was within touching distance again though of getting the race drive, and it’s not happened," di Resta told Crash.net.

"Whether my age is against me now, I don’t know.

"I enjoyed driving that race. I tried to represent the team as best I could with the limited time that I had.

"Ultimately it puts you back in the framework in some way."

Di Resta confirmed there are currently no plans for him to continue as Williams' reserve driver in 2018, with his attention instead turning towards Formula E, having enjoyed his first test on Sunday in Marrakesh with Jaguar.

"[Williams'] decision will be taken very soon. It will be announced very soon," di Resta said.

"But as a driver you have to look after number one and that’s me personally.

"This is a championship that is just underneath the level of Formula 1, and as a professional driver, that’s what excites you."

Asked if a full-time move would be of interest, di Resta said it would "definitely" be as Mercedes gears up for a Formula E entry in 2019.

"I think any professional driver at the level I am at, you have to be," he added.

"I’m definitely very open and would enjoy racing it I think."

Comments

Join the conversation - Add your comment

Please login or register to add your comment

I cant believe he's lost out to sirotkin???? Poor move Williams 

No, it was not your age that worked against you, it was the money, i dont believe you was ever in consideration. 

it was also your reputation....di crashta, and di moaner.

Good one Richard.

Or maybe it was your lacklustre performance at Force India?

F1 needs more Maxs,not more Di Resta.

Since RK is 33 and he was/is in the running, your age did not play a part. Lack on money and talent did.

Im afraid it was a combination of reasons. Di Resta always seemed to me like someone who just drove around on a Sunday afternoon. An "also ran". I cant remember one oustanding performance. 

Money and age will have had a bearing but not if he had been exceptional.

What happened to the must be over 25 rule  because of the drinks connection Sirotkin is 22   so money  rules