The NTT IndyCar Series has moved up the introduction of their Advanced Frontal Protection device to the IndyCar Grand Prix at the Indianapolis on May 11.

The series intended to utilize the AFP at the 103rd running of the Indianapolis 500 presented by Gainbridge. The series declared it ready to use after being tested by 29 drivers at the 2.5-mile oval last Wednesday.

"Thanks to a phenomenal effort by Dallara and all of the INDYCAR teams, we are ahead of schedule in making this happen," said Jay Frye, president of INDYCAR.

The AFP is mounted in front of the cockpit on the chassis bulkhead and is designed to deflect debris from the driver’s head. The series tested a windscreen last year at Indianapolis and the ISM Raceway. A Formula 1-style halo is not under consideration due to visibility limitations on ovals.

Frye added that the AFP is “phase one of our solution” of cockpit safety and further advances will be announced in May.

Arrow Schmidt Peterson driver James Hinchcliffe embraced the series moving up their timetable. The Canadian suffered a concussion when a wing endplate struck him in the 2014 Indy GP.

"It's great to see that INDYCAR is always pushing safety," Hinchcliffe said. "Obviously, this is just Step 1 in an evolution of head protection. But having been hit by a piece of debris that would've been prevented with this device, I'm all for it. It's also comforting to know that behind the scenes we are still working hard on a more comprehensive solution."

Comments

Loading Comments...