Lorenzo Baldassarri put his practice and qualifying woes behind him with a hard earned win in the shortened Moto2 Spanish Grand Prix, which was reduced to fifteen laps in Jerez after a huge multiple rider incident marred the original start.

The Pons Flexbox HP40 rider was plagued with electronics issues and crashes throughout practice and qualifying, leaving him sixth on the grid, as his bad luck contued to hang over from Texas where he did not finish the race.

The shortened race dynamic seemed to play into his hands as he immediately found his way to the front and set about catching his teammate Augusto Fernandez.

Hitting the front on the Kalex with eight laps to go the Italian never looked back, securing his third win of the season in style against the odds at Jerez - where he also tasted victory last season.

Baldassarri remains in charge of the championship standings too, increasing his total to 75 - a seventeen point advantage over nearest rival Tom Luthi.

Jorge Navarro had started from pole for HDR Heidrun Speed Up, but got a poor start leaving him down in fifth after the first lap. 

The Spaniard was undeterred and fought back to be the top home rider, after a long battle with Luthi a strong block pass saw him pass Fernandez and even leave time for an attempt to reel in race winner Baldassarri on the final lap on his way to second- his best ever Moto2 result.

That pass left Fernandez third, but with plenty to celebrate on his first race back after missing two rounds when he broke his wrist as it marks the Spaniards first podium finish in the class after a determined race while still not fully fit after Pasini took fourth in Texas replacing him, putting the pressure on for a good performance.

Luthi could not match the frontrunners but was clear in fourth for Dynavolt Intact GP.

Fifth went to Brad Binder after an aggressive ride - the top KTM over the line for the Red Bull Ajo team.

Xavi Vierge faded after holding off Navarro and then his battle with Binder came to an end to come home sixth for EG 0,0 MArc VDS.

Tetsuta Nagashima had an eventful Grand Prix on his way to seventh - bike issues saw him stuck with a pit lane start and no hope on the original start of the race, ironically his SAG Team-mate Remy Gardner falling and bringing out the red flags allowed him to re-start on the grid and work his way up to a strong points finish in seventh.

Gardner had been flipped high over the front of his bike and although he was amazingly not hit by anyone it caused multiple incidents behind him - he attended the medical centre for checks along with Dimas Ekky Pratama who moved out of the way of the accident only to find Gardners bike twisting towards him anyway. Marco Bezzecchi was also taken out in the chaos. Gardner was diagnosed with a concussion. 

All that happened in front of Alex MArquez who ended up with not much left of his bike. The EG 0,0 MArc VDS mechanics did a superb job to get him out on track at all - but the pit lane start was now his instead and despite his best efforts he never recovered, finishing 24th.

Back with those who crossed the line, Luca Marini fought his way up to eighth for Sky Racing Team Vr46, just ahead of his colleague Nicolo Bulega who was the top rookie in ninth. Iker Lecuona overcame his poor qualifying performance of 16th to complete the top ten.

Enea Bastianini (Italtrans) was next to see the chequered flag in eleventh, with a wait until Fabio Di Giannanantonio came through for twelfth on the second Speed Up entry.

The remaining points on offer went to Dominique Aegerter on the MV Augusta in 13th, Andrea Locatelli (Italtrans) in 14th and Marcel Schrotter (Dynavolt Intact GP) in 15th after being forced very wide early in the race by Binder hurt his chances.

Following the restart Simone Corsi was first off at turn two, it was not long until Pasini was too in the gravel, finishing his second replacement ride (in for Jake Dixon at the Samar Qatar Angel Nieto Team) in the gravel.

Sam Lowes only lasted one lap longer, as he saw his day come to an end at turn nine with eight laps left to run. Jorge Martin soon followed into the gravel.

Khairul Idham Pawi was absent following his crash earlier in the weekend which left him with a fractured finger.