TT racer Keith Amor has revealed his relief after realising Guy Martin had survived the fiery high-speed crash which brought out a red flag during the 2010 Isle of Man TT finale.

Martin, riding the Wilson Craig Honda Superbike, was in contention for victory during the six-lap Senior TT until, on lap three and with a full tank of fuel after a pit stop, he crashed heavily at Ballagarey - scene of a fatal racing crash just a day earlier.

The bike smashed into a hedge and burst into flames. The race was red flagged so fire engines could attend the blaze. It was initially feared Martin had sustained grave injuries in the high speed crash, and he was airlifted to hospital after being treated on the road by medics.

It later emerged the 29-year-old had escaped serious injury and had remained conscious throughout. Doctors said he would spend a few days in hospital as he recovered from bruising to both lungs and minor fractures to his upper spine.

However, the ferocity of the crash shocked many onlookers, including fellow riders who had to pass through the fiery scene before the race was stopped.

One was Scot Amor, who admitted he had feared for his fellow racer's safety.

The HM Plant Honda Superbike rider said:

"I was only a few seconds behind Guy when he went down and as I crested the rise just before Ballagarey I saw a big puff of smoke in the air and the marshals running."

"I was so relieved when I got to the corner and saw him trying to crawl to the side of the road as I at least knew he was conscious and moving."

The race was reduced to four laps and re-started later. Amor, now aware Martin was safe, managed to re-group and was fighting for a podium finish when his machine broke down - coasting to a halt at Glen Helen, the same spot teammate John McGuinness had retired two laps earlier.

Amor recorded a personal best lap of the Mountain Course of 129.801mph to move to second in the Senior, before mechanical problems forced him out with just 28 miles to go.

The Falkirk rider said:

"I'm so disappointed that the week has ended like this as the bike was working so well and we were really 'on it'. The boys at HM Plant have worked so hard this fortnight trying to improve the bike for me and the further adjustments we made for the race worked and the bike and Dunlop tyres were mega."

"I regrouped in time for the re-start and was ready to go and really got stuck in on the first lap. I made a couple of small mistakes but when John and then Conor (Cummins) went out, I was suddenly in second and all was well and looking good. However, on the final lap when I went through the traffic lights at Ballacraine, it felt like the rear brake was jamming on and the bike started to slow down. I tried to free it up and carry on, but the bike kept slowing so I had to pull in at Glen Helen."

"I'm gutted, especially for all the boys at HM Plant. They've made me feel so welcome this fortnight and my crew chief Adrian Gorst is the most professional person I've worked with so I've learnt a lot and it's been a pleasure to have been involved with the team."

"My own team have also worked incredibly hard and we've had some strong results so I'll be back next year to try and get on to that top step."