The Isle of Man's Billy Redmayne won a thrilling Junior race at the Manx Grand Prix after a dramatic last lap challenge was thrown down by Malachi Mitchell-Thomas.

Redmayne won by only 1.8 seconds in the end after also coming out on top when the pair battled it out in the Newcomers race in 2014.

A faller during practice at Sarah's Cottage on Monday, Redmayne dedicated his win to Scottish rider Andy Lawson, who died after an incident at the Ulster Grand Prix in August.

"I didn't think I'd be here after Monday's practice so I've got to say a huge thanks to my physio for getting me fit," he said.

"I'd like to dedicate this win as a tribute to Andy Lawson."

After a frustrating delay due to rain and mist on the Isle of Man, the Junior Manx Grand Prix finally got underway at 1pm over a reduced distance of three laps.

Competitors were warned of damp patches on the course, notably just before St Ninians with roads described as wet between Ramsey Hairpin and the Gooseneck.

Wigan's Rob Hodson on the PR Racing Suzuki fired away first down Glencrutchery road.

Mitchell-Thomas, the fastest qualifier - who posted an unofficial lap record in Tuesday night's practice - was first to Glen Helen. However, he only had a lead of 0.1 seconds from Redmayne on the Martin Bullock Manxsport Honda with Hodson back in third.

New Zealander Michael Moulai, who finished runner-up in last year's Senior Manx Grand Prix, was an early retirement when he slid off at Braddan. He was taken to Nobles Hospital for a precautionary check up.

Ian Armstrong was another to go out on lap one when he came off at Glentramman. The Yorkshire rider was taken by airmed to Nobles Hospital for treatment on possible fractures.

Back at the front, Redmayne moved into the lead by the second timing point at Ballaugh Bridge, but only by less than a second from Mitchell-Thomas with Hodson consolidating third place, a further two seconds back.

The leading three riders were all into the pits at the end of the first lap with Redmayne's opening lap of 118.255mph giving him a narrow lead over Hodson (117.439mph) with Mitchell-Thomas third having lost time over the Mountain.

Hodson and Mitchell-Thomas gained a slight advantage over Redmayne in the pits and it was Mitchell-Thomas who again moved into the front at Glen Helen on the second lap from Richard Wilson, who had run straight through at the Grandstand after opting to pit instead at the end of the second lap.

Redmayne was ahead of Hodson as only three seconds separated the top four.

However, Mitchell-Thomas lost over 16 seconds on the second lap after stopping temporarily at Creg-Ny-Baa, with an overheating bike, which ultimately cost him the race.

Redmayne's second lap of 115.367mph put him back in front with a commanding 12 second lead over Hodson with Mitchell-Thomas back third, almost 15 seconds behind the race leader.

However, on a thrilling final lap, Mitchell-Thomas put the hammer down overhaul Hodson and a new record lap of 125.565mph left him only 1.8 seconds behind Redmayne at the finish.

Hodson was safe in third as he completed the podium places.

Craig Neve was reported as OK following an accident at Sarah's Cottage after an airmed transfer to Nobles, while Jason Brewster was also taken by airmed and reported to have sustained fractures following his accident at the Gooseneck.