Fernando Alonso says a potential calendar clash between next year's Formula 1 season-opener in Australia and the World Endurance Championship round at the Sebring will have no impact on a decision about his future.

Alonso is currently racing in both championships through 2018, and leads the WEC drivers' standings alongside co-drivers Sebastien Buemi and Kazuki Nakajima after winning both the 6 Hours of Spa and 24 Hours of Le Mans from pole position.

The Spaniard is known to be considering his F1 future amid growing disillusionment with the sport, leading to links to a full-time IndyCar programme next year as the McLaren team evaluates an entry to the series. This would also give Alonso another shot at entering the Indianapolis 500, the final leg he needs to win to complete the 'triple crown of motorsport' following his Le Mans victory earlier this month.

Were Alonso to remain in F1 for 2019, it is understood he would face a clash between the season-opening Australian Grand Prix and the WEC round at Sebring in the United States, both of which are scheduled for the week ending March 17.

5774263478001

CrashTV: 

The Sebring WEC race has been confirmed to run on Friday March 15, having been shifted to ease congestion with the IMSA race planned at the track on the same weekend, while the Australian Grand Prix looks set to be held on March 17, one week earlier than its 2018 date slot.

But Alonso was quick to bat away any concerns about the possible date clash when asked by Crash.net about it on Thursday, saying: "The decision for next year will not be dependent on any clash."

The nature of the WEC points structure means Alonso would not realistically be able to skip Sebring and still stand a chance of winning the drivers' championship, as Nakajima and Buemi would likely score points without him, putting them ahead in the standings. This happened in last year's LMP2 title fight when Julien Canal and Bruno Senna were crowned champions, but regular co-driver Nicolas Prost - who missed one race at the Nürburgring due to a clash with Formula E - finished third overall, 18 points behind his teammates.

Crash.net understands Toyota has told reserve driver Anthony Davidson to be on standby for the Sebring weekend should Alonso be unavailable, despite the Briton having signed to race with DragonSpeed LMP2 outfit through the remainder of the WEC season.

However, Alonso is contracted to race with Toyota through to the end of the 2018/19 campaign, culminating with the 24 Hours of Le Mans next June, giving WEC officials confidence that the series' headline name will be present for Sebring.

Naturally, the issue would be avoided if Alonso does opt to depart F1 and sign up to a full-season IndyCar campaign, with the opening round at St. Petersburg already confirmed to be taking place on March 10, potentially setting up a Floridian double-header for the Spaniard.

Alonso spoke about the inconstant nature of the Indy 500, saying that even if he were to do the full championship, there will be no guarantee of success when it comes to the final race missing from his 'triple crown' bid.

"To win the Indy 500, you have only one chance a year, it’s like the Le Mans 24 Hours. Even if you do the whole championship you have only one race and 200 laps to do it," Alonso said.

"I think a race like Indy, especially, with all the random results and the luck factor that you need to be in the right place in the right moment and gamble at the right moment with the yellow flags and safety cars and this type of thing, it’s a matter of probability and statistics.

"So the more appearances you make, the more chances you have."

Comments

Loading Comments...