Hamilton’s future was the subject of intense speculation over the winter after he lost out on a record-breaking eighth world title to Max Verstappen in controversial circumstances at last year’s Abu Dhabi finale. 

The seven-time world champion admitted he spent time considering his future as he returned to the public eye for the launch of Mercedes’ new car for the 2022 season on Friday morning. 

“I was never concerned that he was leaving,” Wolff told reporters after Mercedes unveiled its W13 challenger. 

“Within the team we knew that he needed to take the time to reflect on things, and particularly to understand how he would come back in the best possible frame of mind. 

“So, on our side there was no worries about him not coming back.”

3011548.0064.jpg

Hamilton only recently broke his silence on social media following a two-month break in the wake of the December 12 race. 

Wolff backed Hamilton’s absence from the public eye and said he has returned to Mercedes with a “great mindset”. 

“I think what he did was absolutely right, to take himself out of the microcosmos of Formula 1 and step aside, and blackout socially,” he explained. 

“And he has come back in a great mindset. He’s positive, he’s determined and yet again adversity that was thrown at him will make him stronger. And as he said, it’s attack mode.”

And Wolff believes the adversity Hamilton faced at the end of 2021 will only spur him on in his quest to win an unprecedented eighth drivers’ crown this year. 

“Certainly the DQ in Brazil created a situation for him where the determination on doing the talking on track was enormous,” he added. 

“And from then on there was no looking back, Lewis destroyed the competition in every single race going forward, and also on the Sunday in Abu Dhabi. 

"I think that adversity has always made him stronger, more resilient and determined, and this is the attitude I feel in him right now, and also the mindset I see in the team.”