The inaugural Jakarta E-Prix in Indonesia has become the third FIA Formula E race to be affected by the outbreak of the novel coronavirus. 

A statement on Wednesday confirmed plans to host the first-ever Formula E race in Indonesia had been shelved due to the continued spread of COVID-19, with the Jakarta round originally scheduled for a June 6 slot on the 2019-2020 calendar. 

It follows the postponement of races in Sanya and Rome, which were both abandoned in recent weeks as a result of the coronavirus outbreak, which has now affected nearly 120,000 people worldwide and caused 4,300 deaths, mostly in China where the virus originated in December. 

The number of confirmed cases of coronavirus in Indonesia has risen to 27 with one death. Formula E hopes to reschedule the event at a later date. 

"As instructed by the Governor of Jakarta Anies Baswedan - and in consultation together with Formula E, the FIA, Ikatan Motor Indonesia (IMI) and the Organising Committee of the Jakarta E-Prix (OC) - it will no longer be possible to race in Jakarta on the scheduled date of June 6, 2020," an Formula E statement read.

"Due to the outbreak of COVID-19 and the escalating number of cases in Indonesia and Jakarta, the decision has been taken as the most responsible course of action, to protect the health and safety of championship participants, staff and spectators.

"We will continue to monitor the situation closely with the relevant authorities and the Organising Committee of the Jakarta E-Prix, in order to assess the possibilities of rescheduling the race at a later date." 

Formula E co-founder Alberto Longo explained the situation is "fluid" regarding further disruption to the championship's calendar and said that double-header races could be held at existing events, or rounds added to the schedule at permanent venues such as Formula E's pre-season test venue in Valencia.

"With the growing number of COVID-19 cases in countries where Formula E currently has events scheduled to be held, we are evaluating contingency plans to lessen the potential impact of coronavirus and maintain the highest possible number of races on the calendar for season six," he said. 

"It is a fluid situation, developing on a daily basis and we remain realistic and flexible in our approach to alternative options, which will be communicated in due course.

"These include adding double-headers to existing events, using permanent facilities and racing behind closed doors if necessary and advised to do so by local authorities in any given location."

 

Comments

Loading Comments...