CAT Ford Performance Racing's Craig Lowndes and Glenn Seton have finished second with Super Cheap Auto Racing's Steve Ellery and Luke Youlden just one place back at Australia's premier motor race, the Bob Jane T-Marts 1000 at Bathurst.

The race was won by Greg Murphy and Rick Kelly, who backed up their shootout effort yesterday with an all the way win today.

Ford finished with six in the first ten, including the Stone Brothers Racing duo of Marcos Ambrose [Pirtek Racing] and Russell Ingall who claimed sixth place.

Ambrose was in a strong position to challenge. However, a puncture forced him into the pits for an extra stop and ruined any hopes of victory.

That result helped maintain Ambrose's lead in the championship chase with three rounds remaining.

Both CAT Ford Performance Racing and Super Cheap Auto Racing went into the race with a dedicated plan of completing the race on four pit stops.

The Lowndes/Seton car was able to achieve that goal, and only a disintegrating front bumper forced the Ellery/Youlden car into the pits for an extra stop.

As the running order constantly changed throughout the day, the final run to the flag had both of the leading Ford runners in a strong position.

A late safety car period to remove the beached OzEmail Falcon of John Bowe closed up the field and made for an exciting finish.

Defending two-time Bathurst winner, Mark Skaife, was set to challenge Greg Murphy, but he was called into the pits to secure a loose rear door.

This gave Lowndes a small opportunity, but with lapped cars in the way he was unable to close in on Murphy.

"We really didn't have the power to challenge for outright speed, but we knew that we had a strong and reliable package that would see us go the distance," said Lowndes. "The car didn't miss a beat all day, the only real challenge was when it was full of fuel and it became a bit of a handful.

"Once the fuel lightened off, the car picked up the pace and we made the most of every opportunity. The run to the flag was pretty exciting and if not for some lapped cars I may have been able to get to Murphy, but he was on fire this weekend and really did a good job.

"Like the win earlier this year at Phillip Island, this gives us all in the team plenty of confidence and the future looks strong."

For Glenn Seton Bathurst number #20 didn't quite bring the fairytale finish, but today's result equalled his best ever Bathurst finish from 1987.

"On that day I actually didn't get to the podium because two of the cars were excluded post-race, so today was very special," said Seton. "This is a sensational feeling, teaming up with Craig is an honour and for our whole team this is what we deserved.

"In terms of my time in the car, I was a little disappointed with my opening stint but my second drive was very good and it gave Craig the chance to challenge at the end.

"I felt confident in Craig today, but I have to say I was nervous and it took a bit to settle down while in the car. I know it was not a win but this is easily a career highlight."

For the single car Super Cheap Auto Racing the result backed-up their second placing at the recent Betta Electrical Sandown 500.

"The next best single car team out there was 15th so we are just over the moon with today," said Ellery. "We knew that if we kept to our strategy and kept out of trouble we would be up there at the end, but to come third is just amazing.

"Those closing laps were very tough as I had a damaged tyre and Steve Richards was giving me plenty, but we kept it together and showed everyone that we are a force in V8 Supercar racing."

After driving in the hail at Sandown, Youlden once again showed a cool approach. Having to drive with the damaged front bumper, before coming back through the field in the middle stages.

"The car was pretty nervous in the high speed sections, but once we changed the bumper it was full steam ahead. Similar to Glenn, my first stint wasn't great and I really gave it my all in the second.

"I was extremely pleased to give Steve the car back in a strong position and once the pit stops were all completed we were right up there.

"I was in the car at Sandown at the end, but today was a great moment to be on the pit wall with the entire crew as Steve came across - it was just amazing."

As ever Bathurst was a dramatic event with four safety car periods and a collection of damaged cars in need of repair before the next event on the streets of Surfers Paradise in two weeks.