Robert Kubica says leaving Williams at the end of the 2019 Formula 1 season was “purely my decision”.

The 34-year-old Pole announced on Thursday ahead of this weekend’s Singapore Grand Prix that he will depart the British squad following the conclusion of the current campaign.

With Kubica unlikely to land a full-time race seat on the F1 grid for 2020, his exit from Williams will likely bring to a close his remarkable comeback to the sport after just a single season, following an eight-year hiatus due to life-threatening injuries he sustained in a rallying accident in 2011.

Asked whether the call to leave Williams had any outside influence from his personal backers PKN Orlen, Kubica replied: “It was my decision.

“Of course I know there are some consequences which then Orlen follows my decision, but this is a completely different topic. It has been only purely my decision.

“Regarding a simulator role, I don’t want to go too much into the details but as I said I will evaluate different opportunities.

“I will be very surprised if I will be doing only simulator and will be very surprised if I am not racing next year.”

Kubica scored Williams’ only point of a torrid 2019 season in Germany but has been out-qualified by rookie teammate George Russell at all 14 races so far.

Polish sponsors Orlen have already confirmed they will continue to support Kubica in his bid to retain an F1 role in some capacity.

“I always said that I took a lot energy, a lot of time for me to recover and come back to the sport and join back in F1, but I would like to stay,” Kubica explained.

“I said this year would be the goal to remain in F1. Of course my answer would be yes but not for every cost.

“I think I have to first of all what will bring me back a bit of joy in racing, of course this season has been very tough from a performance point of view but it has also been very demanding being back in F1 after a long time, it’s not easy.

“Especially when we are in the difficult situation we are in but nevertheless I have to thank the team for the opportunity and we will see what the future will bring.

“It has been extremely hard for me but nevertheless I still think I made the right decision,” he added.

“Everybody, myself and Williams, are on the same boat and we would appreciate better results and better performance this year and an easier life, because in the end it is a very tough and difficult season for everyone in Williams.

“I just have to move forward and that’s how it is. This is the outcome and the reason I took the decision.”

Formula 2 frontrunner and current Williams test and development driver Nicholas Latifi is understood to be a leading candidate for the remaining seat alongside Russell for 2020, while Nico Hulkenberg could be an option as he looks to remain on the F1 grid having lost his spot at Renault to Esteban Ocon.

 

Comments

Loading Comments...