For the second time is as many rounds Orrcon Racing driver Jason Bargwanna charged his way into the top ten shootout when the V8 Supercar Championship kicked into full swing at the Hidden Valley circuit in Darwin.

Unlike the previous round in New Zealand where Bargwanna's promising qualifying result failed to transfer into a good race result today as he charged his way to his third top ten finish of the championship crossing the line seventh.

Bargwanna started from tenth position on the grid and showed good early pace before being caught behind Simon Wills amongst a six-car freight train that also included his Orrcon Racing team mate Mark Winterbottom who had his best qualifying effort of the championship to start from 14th.

On lap three Bargwanna found a way past Wills and pulled clear of the pack to set about chasing down the leading freight train of eight cars, in the process setting the fourth fastest t lap time of the race.

Winterbottom was also showing good pace elevating himself up the order to be in 12th spot on lap six.

As Bargwanna made in roads on Rick Kelly who was holding down eighth position Winterbottom was being hounded by multiple Series Champion Craig Lowndes who was also closely followed by Greg Murphy.

Throughout the final laps of the 17-lap journey Bargwanna was able to drive his own race and finish on the within striking distance of Kelly crossing the line in seventh.

"I was getting held up in the early laps with Wills and once I had clean air the Orrcon Falcon had good pace and to set the fourth fastest time was very pleasing," said Bargwanna.

"As the weekend has progressed the team has continuously improved the car and it is very consistent to drive.

"Now we just need to cling onto the back of the front pack during tomorrow's races and stay out of trouble."

On the final corner of the race the leaders, Marcos Ambrose and Mark Skaife tangled allowing Russell Ingall to take the win ahead of Todd Kelly and Ambrose.

Winterbottom again came tantalizingly close to his maiden top 10 finish crossing the line in 11th.

"The early part of the race was tough battling with Wills with several guys right on my hammer," said Winterbottom.

"Lowndesy was right on me all race and I couldn't make any mistakes, it was a very intense race but went fast.

"Leading up to the event a lot of talk has been about the heat but today's race went very quick and the heat wasn't as extreme as what I had imagined"