Fernando Alonso says it was frustrating to miss the majority of the opening free practice session in Monaco with a brake issue which has hampered his programme for McLaren.

The two-time Formula 1 world champion, who missed the Monaco Grand Prix last year while competing at the Indianapolis 500, notched up just 16 laps in FP1 after being forced out with a brake problem which forced his team to replace his car’s floor.

Despite bouncing back with 42 laps in the afternoon session and ending the day ninth fastest, Alonso feels he has more performance to find from his MCL33 while also securing full confidence to push his car at the unforgiving Monaco circuit.

“It was tough, the first session we missed with a problem with the brakes and I am quite disappointed because it is a circuit that you need as many laps as possible to build your confidence,” Alonso said.

Fernando Alonso

CrashTV: 
Video Thumbnail: 

“We’ve missed that one but the guys did a great job and the car was fully ready for FP2 so we recovered some of those laps. I think there is still more to come for us and a little bit of lap time here and there but this is Monaco so hopefully we’ll put a lap together on Saturday.

“I think with track evolution also you drive one car in FP1 and one car in FP2 and a completely different car in qualifying because you are two seconds quicker. We need to adapt and we need to be flexible on that.

“Qualifying is 99% of the race here so you need to put that lap together in qualifying on Saturday then the race is a little bit easier.”

 

Comments

Loading Comments...