Formula 2 driver Anthoine Hubert has died following an accident in Saturday's race at Spa-Francorchamps.

Hubert, 22, was involved in a three-car accident on the second lap of the Feature Race that saw his car hit the wall at Raidillon before being stuck by oncoming driver Juan Manuel Correa.

The race was suspended before being cancelled altogether while medical crews attended the crash site.

In a statement issued on Saturday evening, the FIA confirmed that Hubert had died as a result of his injuries.

"The Federation Internationale de l’Automobile (FIA) regrets to advise that a serious incident involving cars #12, #19 and #20 occurred at 17:07 on 31/08/19 as a part of the FIA Formula 2 Feature Race at Spa-Francorchamps, round 17 of the season," the statement reads.

"The scene was immediately attended by emergency and medical crews, and all drivers were taken to the medical centre.

"As a result of the incident, the FIA regrets to inform that the driver of car #19, Antoine Hubert (FRA), succumbed to his injuries, and passed away at 18:35."

Hubert was a member of the Renault Formula 1 junior programme, and won the GP3 Series title last year with ART Grand Prix before graduating to F2 this year. The French driver claimed his first F2 win in Monaco earlier this year before taking home victory at Paul Ricard in June.

It marks the first death as a result of injuries sustained on an F1 grand prix weekend since Jules Bianchi's passing in 2015, nine months after his accident at the Japanese Grand Prix.

The FIA also issued an update on Correa, confirming he was in a stable condition and had been transported to hospital in Liege.

"The driver of car #12, Juan-Manuel Correa (USA), is in a stable condition and is being treated at the CHU Liège hospital. More information on his condition will be provided when it becomes available," the statement reads

"The driver of car #20 Giuliano Alesi (FRA) was checked and declared fit at the medical centre.

"The FIA is providing support to the event organisers and the relevant authorities, and has commenced an investigation into the incident."