Jaime Alguersuari dominated round 13 of the British F3 International Series at Brands Hatch on Sunday, leading from the off until the race was red flagged after 16 laps following a heavy accident involving Alistair Jackson.

Oliver Turvey finished second after passing Atte Mustonen at the start, while Jay Bridger won the National Class from pole, with Jonathan Legris finishing a strong second in the LitespeedF3 SLC R1 on his British F3 debut.

Alguersuari got the best start off the line to lead the 27 car field into Paddock Hill for the first time. Third placed Oliver Turvey got a better start than Atte Mustonen to demote the Finn into the first corner by one place.

Further back fourth placed Sebastian Hohenthal and eighth placed Henry Arundel both stalled their cars causing the drivers behind them to take avoiding action off the line, luckily with no incidents.

Brendon Hartley went down the inside of Max Chilton at Graham Hill Bend, gaining the New Zealander three places before the end of lap one. Another driver making a good start off the line was John Martin, the Australian making up six places as he crossed the line for the first time to end the lap in tenth, the place he would've started before his qualifying penalty for a yellow flag infringement.

In the National Class Jay Bridger led the class away but Jonathan Legris got a great start in the Litespeed SLC, moving ahead of Salman Al Khalifa, Stefan Wilson and Steven Guerraro to end lap one second in the National Class and challenging Bridger for the lead.

Alguersuari started to pull away at the front of the field as Mustonen put pressure on Turvey, who on turn had Sergio Perez filling his mirrors, with Marcus Ericsson and Walter Grubmuller not far behind. By lap six the leader had opened a five second gap to the Turvey / Mustonen battle and broke Marko Asmer's lap record as he continued to pull away.

Max Chilton was being challenged by John Martin for ninth place and on lap 8 the Australian picked off the Hitech Dallara. Chilton's race then got worse as the 17-year-old spun off at Paddock Hill, clattering the barriers hard.

Sam Abay was making progress from the back of the field, moving past Ricardo Teixeira to take 12th place from the Angolan. Alistair Jackson, who had started at the back of the field with Abay, was also making swift progress towards the front of the grid. The Northern Irish driver had to negotiate the five car National Class battle and as Stefan Wilson moved over to let Jackson through Salman Al Khalifa saw an opening to move ahead of Wilson for 4th in class.

Then Jackson pushed a little too hard and put two wheels on the outside kerb at Surtees, losing control of the Mygale which spun across the track hitting the barriers on the inside of the exit hard. The safety car was deployed slowing the pace and bunching the field back up. With just a few minutes remaining the red flag was shown and the race declared on lap 16.

Alistair Jackson was conscious the whole time and was taken to hospital as a precaution after complaining of neck pains and pain in his knee.

Jaime Alguersuari now holds a 10 point lead over Sergio Perez - 132 points to 122 - with Oliver Turvey in third on 118 points. Jay Bridger moves into the National Class lead for the first time, holding a 12 point advantage over the absent Andy Meyrick.

Round 14 of the 2008 British F3 International Series is due to start at 16:15 this afternoon.