The ban suspending all Motorsport-UK sanctioned events have been extended until June 30 in response to the UK’s lockdown amid the coronavirus pandemic.

On Monday evening, the UK prime minister Boris Johnson imposed strict new curbs on the British public, including banning gatherings of three or more people for a period of at least three weeks.

Those measures have prompted Motorsport UK to prolong its ban of motorsport activities from taking place by a further two months, from April 30 to June 30.

That means all championships, including the British Touring Car Championship - which had already postponed its opening three rounds - face further delays. The 2020 BTCC season's rounds in Thruxton on May 16-17 and Oulton Park on June 13-14 have also been called off. 

“In light of recent developments in the COVID-19 crisis, and following the address to the nation by the Prime Minister on the evening of 23rd March, Motorsport UK has today extended its suspension of all organising permits and Certificates of Exemption for motorsport events until at least 30th June,” a Motorsport UK statement read.

“This move provides clear guidance to event organisers, venues, competitors, officials and volunteer marshals of the role that Motorsport UK must play in supporting the broader UK public health agenda.

“In recent days the feedback from our members and the community was a need for increased clarity to allow them to plan appropriately and, should the need arise, put in place necessary contingency measures.”

Motorsport UK chairman David Richards said: “Motorsport UK has a vital role to play with its community in re-inforcing that, at this time of national emergency, we must all stay at home to play our part in protecting the NHS and ultimately saving lives.  

“Today, the government have required that we effectively lock-down for a period of three weeks, however given that the most vulnerable in our society are required to isolate for three months, it is evident that the most responsible course of action was to propose a longer suspension of our sport. 

"When we reflect back on this time, it will be a brief, but vital, hiatus from our everyday motorsport life and we must put this in perspective. 

“This is a time of national unity and we need to come together with the broader public community to do all we can to support this battle and ultimately save lives.”

Motorsport UK said it will continue to monitor government advice and will update the motorsport community accordingly.

This suspension does not currently effect the Formula 1 British Grand Prix, which is due to be held on July 17-19. 

 

Comments

Loading Comments...