The French Grand Prix looks set to become the 10th Formula 1 race to be called off due to the coronavirus crisis.

On Monday in a televised address to the nation, French President Emmanuel Macron said restrictions on all public events would continue until at least mid-July, while its shutdown could carry on until May.

With the French GP scheduled to take place at Circuit Paul Ricard on June 26-28 it looks unlikely the race will be able to go ahead as planned given 135,000 people attended the race last year.

Race organisers have been closely monitoring the coronavirus situation and working closely with F1 series organisers, with an official update on the race expected in the coming days. If the race is postponed it would become the 10th race to be called off since the cancellation of the Australian GP last month.

F1 is currently considering all options as it bids to kickstart the season as soon as possible and ensure it holds the minimum eight races required to stage a world championship at the very least.

Sporting chief Ross Brawn said the 2020 campaign will likely begin in Europe, potentially as a closed-doors event, and believes it would be credible to have a 18-19 race calendar if racing can start in July.

Extending the season into January next year to fit in enough races is another possible solution being considered by F1 officials and the teams.

F1 teams remain in shutdown until May have pushed forward it summer break from August to April and the start of May.

 

Comments

Loading Comments...