Fernando Alonso believes it is wrong to think that this weekend's 24 Hours of Le Mans will be a two-car battle for victory, billing the race as being better than ever thanks to its deep LMP1 field.

Two-time Formula 1 world champion Alonso will make his Le Mans debut on Saturday with Toyota as part of his bid to complete the 'triple crown of motorsport', racing alongside Sebastien Buemi and Kazuki Nakajima.

The trio made a winning start to the FIA World Endurance Championship 'super season' at Spa last month as Toyota scored a one-two finish, ending the race two laps clear of the next LMP1 car in third place.

5774263478001

CrashTV: 

Toyota is the sole manufacturer racing in LMP1 at Le Mans, and while efforts have been made to try and cut the performance deficit to the class' other privateer runners, paddock sentiment is that this is the Japanese manufacturer's race to lose.

Alonso has recently expressed his dismay at F1's predictability, but hit back at a suggestion Le Mans itself would offer little in the way of action given Toyota's advantage, boiling the battle for victory down to its two cars.

"I think this year is the best Le Mans," Alonso said.

"Normally there are four cars fighting, but this year there are 10.

"The people that say there are two this year, I think they’ve never watched the 24 hours."

After flying straight from Montreal to France following the Canadian Grand Prix, Alonso completed his scrutineering duties with Toyota on Monday at La Place de la Republique, and will next hit the track on Wednesday during practice.

"Racing here is always special. I'm ready to enjoy every single minute here," Alonso told Sportscar365 during scrutineering on Monday.

"We're leading also the World Endurance Championship after the win at Spa, so it's an important race.

"Hopefully we can put in another good performance and see what the result is at the end."

Comments

Loading Comments...