After four days unconscious following his massive smash at Bishopscourt during the Post Classic Manx Grand Prix race, Olie Linsdell is awake, off his ventilator and eating.

The young star woke up on Friday, the day the 2010 MGP came to a close with the Senior race. The final race brought the curtain down on what had been a tough fortnight for the event.

Linsdell's crash on Monday left him fighting for his life, then, Wednesday's Junior race was halted on lap two after a crash at Alpine Cottage. Two riders, Chris Bradshaw and Jamie Adam, lost their lives in that crash. During the same race, which was abandoned, Tim Venables, who had taken victory in Monday's Newcomers' race, was badly injured in a crash at Greeba Castle.

Venables remains in hospital in Liverpool in a serious, but stable condition.

However, the news on Linsdell was positive.

His mum Carole said:

"After a fairly tough few days Olie is now awake and off the ventilator, breathing for himself and aware of us. Friday was the first time he opened his eyes, and he said a few words to us for the first time on Saturday."

"He knows who we all are, and is speaking a lot more. Taking into account the speed of the accident it is unbelievable that he has broken no major bones, although there's hardly a square inch of his body that has not got a bruise or abrasion, and he has damage to his right knee and forearm that will require some work."

"He is very sore and drowsy but has eaten some ice cream and already tells us he wants to get up! It will be a while before he's up to that but he has amazed us all- as someone said today, he's definitely back in the room."
"We have been overwhelmed by all the messages from our dear friends, family and his wonderful fans and sponsors- too many to name. Steve, myself David and of course Olie thank you all. We'd also like to take this opportunity to thank all the staff at Nobles and Walton Hospital for the incredible attention that they have given Olie, and to the marshals and medics who treated Olie at the scene."

Peter Gibson, who was injured during Friday's Senior MGP race has had an operation on his arm fracture. John Thompson, who had an accident at the Creg Ny Baa has now been discharged from hospital.