The planned Miami Grand Prix will no longer take place in 2019, with Formula 1 chiefs targeting a 2020 race.

Plans for a race in the Florida city were approved earlier this year after the city's commission voted in favour of hosting a round of the F1 world championship from 2019 as part of a 10-year deal.

But reports emerged over the German Grand Prix weekend that a decision could be postponed until later in the year, which was confirmed by F1 managing director Sean Bratches in an official statement on Monday. 

5774263478001

CrashTV: 

“In the last few months we have worked diligently alongside our promoter Stephen Ross of RSE Ventures, the City of Miami and Miami Dade County, to realise our ambition to bring a Formula 1 Grand Prix to Miami, and we have made significant progress: however, these are complicated negotiations," Bratches said. 

"Whilst our preference would have been to race in Miami in 2019, there was always a point by which delivering the best possible wheel-to-wheel racing experience for our fans, drivers and teams wouldn’t be possible in the time available. We have now reached that point as far as racing in Miami in 2019 is concerned.

"However, we are taking a long-term view and as a result, we have decided, in consultation with the Miami authorities, to postpone sign-off until later in the summer, with the aim of running the first Formula 1 Miami Grand Prix in the 2020 season."

Bratches revealed F1 was not willing to rush into a deal for 2019 without having full confidence over the circuit layout, which had come under fire after an initial layout was unveiled, which incorporated elements of downtown Miami previously used for IMSA, CART and Formula E races. 

"We have always said that we wouldn’t compromise on delivering the best possible race, for the people of Miami, our fans and the 1.8 billion people who watch F1 globally every year, and if that meant waiting until 2020, then that was far more preferable than signing off on a sub-optimal race track, just to do a deal," he added. 

"At every stage of this process we’ve enjoyed positive collaboration and co-operation with the City of Miami, Miami-Dade County, Port of Miami, Bayfront Parks Management, residents and businesses. As a result of these discussions, we have listened and adapted our plans, including elements of the track layout.

"We are committed to expansion in the US and to Miami in particular and we will be bringing our fantastic sport to this iconic city in October with the Formula 1 fan festival, where we look forward to engaging and exciting fans."

It means F1 is expected to return to just 20 races for next season, with the out-of-contract German Grand Prix dropping off the calendar in 2019 amid fears over the future of the Hockenheim race. 

Comments

Loading Comments...