Stoffel Vandoorne has confirmed he is talking to teams in both IndyCar and Formula E as he looks to secure a racing programme for 2019 following his exit from McLaren’s Formula 1 operation.

McLaren announced earlier this month that Vandoorne would be leaving the team at the end of the season to make way for an all-new driver line-up in 2019, featuring Lando Norris and Carlos Sainz Jr

Vandoorne admitted in Singapore two weeks ago that his chances of staying in F1 were slim, prompting him to consider options in other series.

IndyCar team boss Dale Coyne told Autosport he had contacted Vandoorne about a possible drive for 2019, while the Belgian was also reported by e-racing365 to be in contention for a Formula E seat with the Mercedes-backed HWA squad.

Speaking on Thursday in Sochi ahead of the Russian Grand Prix, Vandoorne confirmed that IndyCar is on his radar for next year, but stressed he was yet to make a final decision on his plans.

“I’ve obviously been looking to the future which is normal. I think in my head, it’s pretty clear what I want to do,” Vandoorne said.

“I’ve been in touch with a lot of teams and series for the future, and IndyCar has been one of that as well. At the moment, nothing is decided.”

Vandoorne also said he had been in touch “with a few teams’ in Formula E, adding the electric single-seater series “could be a possibility, yes.”

Eight F1 seats are still to be announced for 2019, but Vandoorne said he felt his chances of staying on the grid had all but passed “unless anything out of control happens again.”

“I think the chances of anything like that happening is almost zero percent,” Vandoorne continued.

“The priority for me is to have a proper racing programme, and obviously in some way, stay involved in Formula 1, to still be connected to this world. I still feel I deserve a second chance in a good and right environment.”

Vandoorne’s best chances of staying in F1 for 2019 appeared to lie with either Toro Rosso, which still has two unconfirmed seats, and Sauber, which completed its line-up earlier this week by announcing Antonio Giovinazzi as Kimi Raikkonen’s teammate for next year.

“I’ve obviously been in touch with them. They’ve been very honest with what their situation was, so I kind of knew immediately where I was standing,” Vandoorne said.

“They haven’t kind of kept me waiting, waiting, waiting and then realise it’s not an option. For me, it was quite clear.”

 

Comments

Loading Comments...