Carlos Sainz Jr. is unconcerned by the prospect of giving up some of his planned in-season Formula 1 test running so that Fernando Alonso can try out McLaren's 2019 car.

McLaren confirmed on Wednesday that Alonso would be testing its MCL34 car at some stage this year as part of his ambassadorial role with the team, as well as playing a role in the development of the MCL35 car that will race in 2020.

5774263478001

CrashTV: 

Alonso's test appearance would come at the cost of seat time for either Sainz or teammate Lando Norris at the planned in-season running in Bahrain and Spain after their respective grands prix.

However, Sainz said he would not mind sitting out a test day so that Alonso could get a chance to sample the McLaren at some stage this year.

"I don’t mind. I think I have enough experience to not do an in-season test and give it to Fernando," said Sainz.

"I’m not so worried about that. I think it’s a good thing to have Fernando on track on the car in a test just to have a good baseline and to compare it to last year.

"I’m not going to be in the hotel biting my nails over not being on track one day."

Alonso was present for two days of F1 testing this week in Barcelona, taking time to watch the cars trackside with Sainz.

Asked by Crash.net about his chats with Alonso, Sainz said that drawing any firm comparisons would be tough until the two-time world champion had tried out the new car for the first time.

"We’ve been sharing some thoughts, trying to compare a bit the balance I had this year to the balance he had last year and starting to comment a bit on the car," Sainz said.

"But I guess until he tries this year’s car, it’s going to be difficult for me to actually try and build a conclusion on where we are and where we want to be.

"I’ve only done 100 laps in last year’s car and it’s not enough mileage to compare to see how much better or worse is this year’s car. I don’t know how many laps he did last year, 5 or 6,000, but then it will be easier to compare."

Comments

Loading Comments...