Alexander Albon will make his Formula E debut with the refreshed Nissan e.dams team for the upcoming 2018/19 season.

As part of the Renault-Nissan Alliance, the e.dams-run squad will be rebranded under the Nissan banner for the new Formula E season ahead of the launch of the new generation cars.

With Nico Prost confirmed to be leaving the team at the end of last year, UK-based Thai driver Alexander Albon has been announced as Buemi’s teammate and will make the full-time switch from Formula 2.

The 22-year-old has spent the past two years in F2, while aiming to break into Formula 1, and currently sits third in the drivers’ championship with three race wins to his name.

5774263478001

CrashTV: 

Albon is expected to make his Formula E test debut in Valencia circuit next month for two days of pre-season testing ahead of the first race of the season as the series hosts its inaugural round in Saudi Arabia on December 15.

“The level of competition in the series is intense, and I’m looking forward to testing myself against some of the best drivers in the world,” Albon said. “Electric street racing will be a new challenge for me, but working with Sebastien as my teammate will be a huge help, as he has set the benchmark for performance in the series.”

2015-16 Formula E champion Buemi is relishing the opportunity of ‘a new beginning’ in the all-electric series with the switch to Nissan while staying with the e.dams squad having endured a tricky campaign last season.

After a tough start to the season in Hong Kong, Buemi failed to win a single Formula E race for the first time in his career but did secure three pole positions and four rostrum results on his way to fourth place in the drivers’ championship.

“Season five will be a whole new beginning for me in many ways,” Buemi said. “There’s so much that’s new – the cars, the race format, the venues. I look forward to continuing to work with e.dams and Nissan.”

Comments

Loading Comments...