Dan Linfoot has been confirmed with four fractures to his pelvis following his collision with Keith Farmer and James Westmoreland during the opening round of the 2013 MCE British Superbike Championship at Brands Hatch.

The 24-year-old, who is making his return to the series with Lloyds British GBmoto Honda after spell in the World Supersport Championship, was enjoying a strong opening performance aboard the CBR1000RR having run as high as fourth during the initial stages.

Indeed, though Linfoot had slipped back as the chequered flag loomed, he was still seventh entering the final lap and on course to score GBmoto's maiden top ten finish. However, light contact with Farmer at the exit of Druids would cause Linfoot to slip off his bike into the path of the innocent Westmoreland.

Collected hard by Westmoreland's BMW, Linfoot was taken to hospital where he was diagnosed with four fractures to his pelvis. Though fortunate to avoid requiring surgery, Linfoot admits he doesn't know how long it will take for the injury to heel.

"It is obviously disappointing for me to be in hospital after the first round of the season as the Lloyds British GBmoto Honda team had done such a great job pre-season and also over the weekend at Brands Hatch to get us in a good position," he told the BSB website.

"On the last lap we were in a bit of a pack and I had passed Keith Farmer onto the start line and then he put a move back on me into Paddock Hill, but he got alongside me on the exit of Druids and we clipped and it took my handle bar out. Westy then had nowhere to go and caught me, but there was nothing he could have done so I don't blame him at all.

"It was a real shame as in the race I had been gradually building up and had conserved my tyre which meant I had a second wind at the end of the race and on the last lap we were all really close and it got a bit scrappy. It felt more like the last race of the season rather than the first! We showed that we could be in the fight for top positions and I felt really happy with the bike and was confident that we could have made a few more improvements to then try and move forward in the second one.

"The doctors at the hospital have assessed me again and I am having another this afternoon but they have now discovered four fractures to my pelvis, but luckily it isn't something that requires any surgery and I just need to rest and wait for it to heal. It is tough to get your head around at this stage of the season and we don't know what the recovery time will be yet but I need to say big thumbs up to the championship medical team as they really looked after me and I can't thank them enough.

"I have also had lots of messages from everyone on the social network sites and I want to thank everyone for their support. I will be doing everything I can to be back on the grid as soon as possible."