Petronas Yamaha boss Razlan Razali has poured cold water on rumours that the team is now considering Andrea Dovizioso to replace Fabio Quartararo for the 2021 MotoGP season.

While the wait continues for official confirmation of Valentino Rossi's switch to the satellite team, recent rumours have claimed the delay is not just down to the lengthy paperwork needed to tie Rossi, Yamaha and Petronas together.

Instead, the suggestion is that Rossi could yet decide to retire.

Which is why - the theory goes - Dovizioso, who has already announced he will leave Ducati at the end of the year, could now be in talks to ride alongside Franco Morbidelli next year.

But posting on Facebook, Razali, although not mentioning Rossi, was clear about Dovizioso: "Setting the record straight, we are not considering Dovi at all for 2021."

Rossi has previously said it's "99%" certain he will ride for Petronas next year. The deal would mean the nine-time world champion continues to be contracted to Yamaha but is placed at the Sepang team. 

As such, three-way contracts need to be agreed in Japan, Italy and Malaysia, which Yamaha Racing managing director Lin Jarvis has cited as the reason for the ongoing delay. It's also not clear how many of Rossi's current team members would move with him to Petronas.

Rossi is sure to be asked for an update on the 2021 situation during his upcoming home rounds at Misano, which starts with pre-event media activities on Thursday.

Although only seventh in the world championship, having suffered an engine failure at the Jerez season opener, Rossi returned to the MotoGP podium at the following Andalucia round and finished as the top Yamaha rider at the two recent Austrian events.

Dovizioso's manager Simone Battistella told Crash.net yesterday that there is currently no further news on the Italian's 2021 plans.

 

Comments

Loading Comments...