McLaren is yet to decide on a potential IndyCar entry for the 2019 season, but remains “laser focused” on its Formula 1 interests following a management reshuffle announced earlier this week.

McLaren made a one-off return to IndyCar at last year’s Indianapolis 500, teaming up with Honda and Andretti Autosport to support Fernando Alonso’s entry to the race, and has been considering a full-season programme for 2019.

McLaren Racing CEO Zak Brown attended the Detroit IndyCar race weekend and said that a move into the American series was looking “favourable” when asked about it in Canada.

It was announced this Wednesday that Eric Boullier had resigned from the role of racing director, with two-time ChampCar champion Gil de Ferran becoming the team’s sporting director with immediate effect.

5774263478001

CrashTV: 

When asked what the changes meant for McLaren’s IndyCar prospects, Brown only replied by saying that McLaren remained “laser focused on Formula 1.”

Brown later went on to confirm that contrary to speculation, an IndyCar programme had not been ruled out for 2019, but repeated that McLaren’s focus was on F1 for the time being.

“No, we still haven’t made a decision [on IndyCar],” Brown said.

“We have some time, so right now, we’re just not focused on thinking about it right now. We’ll pick that up when we need to make a decision.

“I’ve seen it reported that we’re not, but no decision has been taken.”

Brown has been exploring an expansion of McLaren’s racing portfolio since joining the company as executive director in January 2017, with a potential return to the 24 Hours of Le Mans also being considered.

A approximate timeline has been set for both series. Brown previously said that an IndyCar decision would need to be taken during the summer, while a possible sports car programme would required approval by the end of the year to plan for a late-2019 entry to the FIA World Endurance Championship.

Comments

Loading Comments...