Red Bull Formula 1 chief Christian Horner has confirmed that Daniil Kvyat is "on the list" of drivers in contention to race for Toro Rosso in 2019, less than a year after being dropped by the team mid-season.

Kvyat was a product of Red Bull's junior programme, racing for Toro Rosso before moving up to the senior Red Bull team, only to then be dropped back down to Toro Rosso four races into the 2016 season.

Kvyat continued with Toro Rosso until last year's Malaysian Grand Prix when he was dropped for Pierre Gasly, and despite a one-race return in the USA, the Russian departed the team and the Red Bull programme.

However, Kvyat has now entered the mix for a potential shock return to F1 next year with Toro Rosso as it considers its driver options following Gasly's move up to the senior Red Bull team.

A source indicated to Crash.net ahead of the Italian Grand Prix weekend that Kvyat could make a comeback at Toro Rosso in 2019, with Red Bull F1 chief Horner confirming on Friday to Sky Sports F1 that he was on the shortlist.

"There are always rumours this time of year, Monza being a hot bed of that," Horner said.

"I think the situation with Toro Rosso is pretty open, so I think everything is being considered. He’s one of several drivers who is on the list."

Asked if he was under consideration, Horner said: "Absolutely."

The move comes as Toro Rosso looks short on driver options for 2019 as no other current Red Bull junior drivers are eligible for an FIA super license, forcing it to look outside for alternative options.

Lando Norris, Stoffel Vandoorne and Jean-Eric Vergne have all been linked with a possible seat at Toro Rosso for next year, while the future of current driver Brendon Hartley remains unclear.

Team boss Franz Tost said over the Belgian Grand Prix weekend that he expected a decision regarding Toro Rosso's 2019 line-up to be made in the "close future" as talks with parent team Red Bull continue.

 

Comments

Loading Comments...