Reports on Monday revealed that four-time F1 world champion Prost had left his role as non-executive director at Alpine amid an ongoing review into the team’s management structure. 

Prost joined Renault in 2017 in a special advisory role, before moving into a position as a non-executive director of the rebranded Anglo-French squad two years later. 

The official F1 website claimed that senior management had decided not to renew the Frenchman’s contract for 2022. 

However, in a social media post on Monday evening, Prost said he had rejected an offer to continue in the role at the final race of last season and criticised Alpine for the way the news was handled. 

“I am very disappointed how this news has been announced today,” Prost wrote on Instagram. 

“It was agreed that we would announce together with Alpine F1 Team! No respect sorry!

“I have refused the offer made to me in Abu Dhabi for the 2022 season because of a personal relationship and I was right!

“To the Enstone and Viry team, I will miss you.”

Speaking to French newspaper L'Equipe, Prost blamed his exit on Alpine CEO Laurent Rossi. 

"Laurent Rossi wants all the light," Prost said. 

"Laurent Rossi's desire is to be alone, not to be polluted by anyone. 

"He told me he no longer needed advice. There is a real desire to put a lot of people on the sidelines."

Last week it was confirmed that Alpine executive director Marcin Budkowski had left the team with immediate effect, with Rossi taking over management duties on a temporary basis. 

Former Aston Martin team boss Otmar Szafnauer has been tipped to replace Budkowski at Alpine. 

Austrian water treatment company BWT has been linked with following Szafnauer across from Aston Martin to become a main sponsor of Alpine.