Rins, like the rest of the team, was informed of the bombshell decision during last Monday’s Jerez post-race test.

It came despite Rins and team-mate Joan Mir sitting a competitive fourth and sixth in the early riders’ standings, with Suzuki top of the teams’ world championship ahead of this weekend’s Le Mans round.

“On Monday, after the Jerez test, Livio [Suppo] and Sahara-san took me to the office and told me and for sure it was super-hard. I was full crying because I gave everything to this team since 2017,” said Rins, who like Mir has been a Suzuki rider for all of his premier-class career.

“Also the team members gave everything since 2015 when Suzuki came back in MotoGP again. So for sure it was a big shock for me, a big shock for the team and it’s not easy.

“In the end I can find something else for next year – I think! – but for the team members it is a little bit more difficult and I feel very sorry because they are like a family to me.”

Rins, whose three victories to date on the GSX-RR is more than any other rider, added:

“Whether I understand the decision or not doesn’t matter, but for sure it was so hard for me. We are fighting for the world championship and we are first in the team standings. But the bosses and Suzuki HQ took the decision. It is what it is. We cannot change it.”

3066430.0008.jpg

Rins ahead of MotoGP Le Mans: Let’s show them they took the wrong decision

Like Mir, who had been on the verge of re-signing for Suzuki, Rins also planned to remain at the team for 2023.

Both must now source alternative seats at rival teams, but Rins insists he is more fired-up than ever.

“I don’t have nothing for next year, but I have a manager for this and he is going to be a bit busy in the next weeks!” Rins said of 2023.

“Sincerely this [news] gives me an extra boost, because I think this is the best package we’ve ever had in Suzuki, so let’s show them they took the wrong decision.”

Rins also said he’s been told that Suzuki’s development budget for the 2022 will remain unchanged.

“They say the budget for this year is already closed so they will bring everything and put all their effort in and – trust me – the mechanics were destroyed [by the news] but the Japanese people in the team were even more destroyed.

“For the development, at Montmelo we are waiting for a new aerodynamic package so let’s see. Let’s get good results. We already have two podiums this season, let’s get a lot more and show them!”