The members of the McLaren Formula 1 team that were observing a quarantine period in Melbourne following the abandoned Australian Grand Prix have now returned home to the UK.

McLaren withdrew from the season-opening round after a member of its crew contracted COVID-19, which resulted in the race being cancelled. A number of senior team personnel remained in Melbourne to support 14 members of the team that were self-isolating for 14 days.

On Thursday morning, McLaren confirmed that all team personnel had returned safely home as of Wednesday evening.

“We are pleased to confirm that as of yesterday evening, all team personnel who were in self-isolation in Melbourne, as well as management who had stayed with them, have now safely returned home,” a team spokesperson said.

“Thanks once again on behalf of the team for all the support and well wishes.”

McLaren team principal Andreas Seidl revealed on Tuesday that the crew would be returning to the UK this week.

“They’re doing well, I stayed out with them for a couple of extra days and some senior members of the team are still there with them,” he explained.

“All the team members who had been tested as a precaution tested negative, which is fantastic news.

“The person that had tested positive is now feeling well and we look forward to welcoming everyone back to the UK this week.”

Reflecting on his decision to pull McLaren out of the Australian Grand Prix, McLaren Racing CEO Zak Brown said: “Even though we’re all racers and we were looking forward to hitting the track, it was an easy decision to make. Protecting the wellbeing of our team is always the number one priority. 

“We have a duty of care to our people, fans and wider F1 stakeholders, and that’s why we informed Formula 1 and the FIA of our withdrawal shortly after hearing on the Thursday night that a member of the team had tested positive.”

 

Comments

Loading Comments...