The mayor of Monza has confirmed that the 2020 Italian Grand Prix will go ahead as planned this year, while also revealing the circuit has agreed a fresh one-year extension with Formula 1.

In the build-up to last year’s race, F1 confirmed a new five-year contract with the Automobile Club d’Italia for Monza to continue hosting the Italian Grand Prix until 2024, but the deal has been extended by a further year to include the 2025 season.

The 2020 race is expected to be confirmed on F1’s revised calendar today, with the event retaining its original date of September 6. It will be the eighth European round in three months.

Monza mayor Dario Allevi said on social media that he had been informed of the extension by ACI president Angelo Sticchi Damiani, at the same time this year’s race was given the go-ahead.

“While many circuits have had to give up because of the health emergency, Monza will be there - Albeit behind closed doors,” Allevi said.

“And Formula 1 has decided to extend the contract, just stipulated, with our race track by one year. Racing cars will continue to speed through the temple of speed until at least 2025.”

According to reports in Italian media, the ACI is keen on hosting a second F1 race in 2020 if one of the planned flyaway events cannot go ahead later in the campaign, with Monza, Imola and Mugello all understood to be in the running.

After the first 10 races were called off due to the COVID-19 pandemic, F1 is set to begin its heavily-delayed season with back-to-back races in Austria on July 5.

The Hungarian Grand Prix will follow on July 19, before a double-header at Silverstone, and then the Spanish, Belgian and Italian rounds.

 

Comments

Loading Comments...