Chinese Formula E driver Ma Qing Ha is observing a 14-day quarantine period ahead of the upcoming round in Mexico City, as a precautionary response to the coronavirus outbreak.

In a statement released by the NIO Formula E team, the Chinese squad confirmed that Ma arrived in Mexico early on February 2 to undergo a two-week quarantine period prior to the race “in a responsible manner toward the championship and personnels involved in Formula E”.

NIO said that all Chinese staff members had taken part in the traditional Chinese New Year’s holiday in China after the Santiago E-Prix and remained at home in Shanghai following government advice regarding the coronavirus epidemic.

The team confirmed all staff members are “well and healthy” and are preparing for the next round of the 2019-20 campaign as usual.

More than 300 people have died due to the outbreak so far, and the worsening situation has already prompted Formula E officials to postpone race in Sanya, which was due to be held on March 21.

There will now be a five-week gap on the calendar between the Marrakesh round on February 29 and Rome on April 4, though Formula E hopes to reschedule the Sanya event or replace it altogether by making one of its pre-planned races - most likely New York - a double-header event like the season finale in London.

NIO said it was looking forward to returning to Sanya once a new date can be found on the calendar.

“We look forward to welcoming Sanya E-Prix back to the 2019-2020 ABB FIA Formula E Championship's calendar once the situation is improved and we hope to support China in this critical fight by a strong performance on track,” the statement continued.

Ma is currently bottom of the 2019-20 Formula E drivers’ championship, having finished no higher than 16th so far this season.

 

Comments

Loading Comments...