IndyCar chief Mark Miles says McLaren is working on a full-time entry to the series with two-time Formula 1 world champion Fernando Alonso in 2019.

McLaren confirmed on Tuesday that Alonso would not continue to race in F1 beyond the end of the current season, though the Spaniard hinted at a return to grand prix racing in the future, providing the Woking squad improves.

Alonso only needs success at the Indianapolis 500 in order to complete his quest to become just the second driver in history to win the unofficial ‘Triple Crown’ of motorsport.

Shock Moments of F1 2018… So far

He has already claimed two victories at the Monaco Grand Prix and added a first triumph at the 24 Hours of Le Mans on his debut with Toyota earlier this year.

IndyCar CEO Miles confirmed McLaren’s proposed entry was being worked on and would receive necessary support from the series.

“The announcement certainly has fueled excitement among INDYCAR fans who hope that Alonso will compete throughout the championship in 2019,” Miles said.

“McLaren is working to put all the necessary arrangements in place, and we are supporting their efforts.

“I don’t expect this to be resolved until closer to the end of this year.”

Following its one-off return to IndyCar at the Brickyard last year, McLaren has been considering a full-time switch to the series, as long as its F1 programme did not suffer as a result.

McLaren has been tight-lipped in recent weeks, but the team’s racing CEO Zak Brown attended the recent Detroit IndyCar race and said a move was looking “favourable".