Racing Point driver Sergio Perez insists he has a contract in place for the 2021 season amid continued speculation linking Sebastian Vettel to the Aston Martin Formula 1 team.

Reports in German media have emerged this week claiming that Vettel is in discussions over a deal to join the Aston Martin works team following Racing Point’s rebrand for the 2021 campaign.

Racing Point team principal Otmar Szafnauer stressed the Silverstone-based outfit was not looking for a “headline” driver for 2021, and pointed to the fact that both Perez and Lance Stroll are tried down to long-term deals when questioned on the subject during last weekend's Styrian Grand Prix. 

Stroll’s position is thought to be well set given his father Lawrence owns the team, but the recent speculation has thrown Perez’s future into question.

"As far as I know, I have a contract,” Perez said during Thursday’s FIA press conference ahead of this weekend’s Hungarian Grand Prix.

“The answers to these questions will only be a matter of time. Let's see what happens in the coming weeks.

“But from my point of view, I have a contract with the team and I fully believe in the future of the team.”

EDITOR'S PICKS: Why Sergio Perez doesn’t deserve to become F1’s unluckiest loser

Perez only signed a new three-year deal last year but the reports suggest that the Mexican’s Racing Point contract has an exit clause to allow the team to trigger an early change.

Pushed on whether he can definitely say he will remain at Racing Point, Perez replied: “Well in F1 you never know until you start if you are racing. This is just how things are. I know I have a contract.

As a direct result of the rumours, Perez revealed he has already received an approach from another F1 team, as well as from teams in other categories, which he says came as a “surprise”.

“I know that during the week the rumours came out and we actually got contacted by a team in the paddock. I won’t say names.

“Also other teams in other categories, which was quite a surprise because we have a contract for the next few years here but at the moment they are just rumours around.

“It’s part of the game,” he added. “The team has taken a good step forward so it’s now… it’s good, you know, to have big names related to the team because that means we are making a good job, we are making progress, and I think the team should be proud of it.

“And the rest, I’ve been in F1 for 10 years so I’m used to this stuff.”

Teammate Lance Stroll did not reveal any details about his contract, but stressed he is “determined to stay here”.

“It’s part of the circus I guess,” he added. “It’s all part of the silly season, rumours and so on. Kind of as expected.

“It’s all part of the fun. It’s normal. We’ll just have to see what happens down the line.”

 

Comments

Loading Comments...